Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What are the odds?

On Saturday my river friends came to the big city and we went to the Bizarre Bizaar. It's sort of an area obsession and if you can fight the crowds, they really do have a wonderful selection of gifts, Christmas decorations and things you probably won't find anywhere else. We had a super time (although they were lost for 30 minutes before I finally figured out how to get them there) and everyone came away with something special. My favorite purchase is a small snowman made from a 1930's quilt. He's holding a tree made from a piece of 1950's lime green chenille. LOVE IT! Anywhoo- this is not the point of this post.

After leaving the show, I wanted to show them some Richmond-ness and so we drove down one of my all time favorite streets- when Jon and I first got married, we looked at 2 houses on Seminary- and although I could have moved into both, we decided to buy another house in a different neighborhood. I never had any regrets about that decision but I still adore the street. As we were driving, I saw something out of the corner of my eye that seemed odd, and then it made me stop the car.

"Is that a white squirrel?" It was- a completely white squirrel- just minding his own business and gathering acorns for his nest! So- what could be better that this? A trip to the Biz Baz, a tour of Richmond and a white rare white squirrel- STOP THE MADNESS!



I forgot to tell Jon and Cooper about the sighting until I was taking Cooper to school on Monday. When I told him that I had seen a white squirrel the kid almost jumped out of the seat. He could hardly wait to tell me all about the "albino squirrel". I am not sure how he got to be such an expert- but his facts made sense.

I didn't get a chance to tell Jon, and last night at dinner he says- "You're never going to believe what I saw today in Chester....."
Yup- a white squirrel!!

What are the odds???
(after doing some research, there are pockets of "albino, or near albino squirrels" in the US- and a small group of them have been reported in Richmond!!)

Who knew?

No comments: