Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So much

So much has happened since Thursday. Telling Cooper that Savannah had died was the worst thing for Jon and me. We went together to pick him up and he knew that something wasn't quite right. He asked as we were walking out to the car, "Did the doctor call to tell us about Savannah?"- and then he looked up at us with those huge brown eyes...searching for the answer that would make his world ok. And we couldn't give it to him. It was gut wrenching and heart breaking and it took an eternity- like it was slow motion. I'm the one who told him and we all dissolved into tears. His little voice kept repeating the same thing over and over and over....

But I just loved her so much. We all did.

The house is so quiet, and so empty. But we're getting through it and now we can smile and remember all the funny things that she did and how much she loved tennis balls and potato chips and how her tail would thump on the floor each morning when Cooper would pad into our room dragging his blanket.

We ended up heading to Great Wolf Lodge on Friday. We had planned the trip weeks ago and decided that maybe what we all needed was time to be happy. We had a super time with friends who joined us for the trip. Cooper was super brave and tried some new activities and it was good to see him be joyful.

We woke up on Saturday morning to the news that Circu!t City was closing its doors.

The end of a 60 year era. It shouldn't matter to me, but it does. Circu!t City was home for me- I can't say those words without smiling. It was my first job in the business world and the place where I met my wonderful husband and my closest friends. We had such fun there, during the hay-day when we thought that surely B*st Buy would fall and we'd take over the world! There were contests for free merchandise (the microwave that I won in 1995 sits in the river house today) and company picnics where we served beer from kegs that seemed endless and laughs- in between all the work, there was laughter. I adored that place- it helped me to become who I am today. It may be closed- but there are an awful lot of people who will remember the good times and smile.

So much has happened since Thursday.....I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my blog. I'll be back to visit for sure. :)

thotlady said...

My next door neighbor worked at Circuit City. He recently found another job. He couldn't take the stress each day wondering when the shoe would drop.

I guess he is one of the lucky ones. He also really enjoyed working at Circuit City.

It is very sad.

The Browns said...

I have to tell you that one of my all time favorite stories is the one where Savannah destroyed the inside of Jon's car trying to get to the tennis courts. It still makes me laugh everytime I think about it.