Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hello, Poison Control?

To be clear, this post has a happy ending....equally as clear should be the disclaimer that I am certainly not winning the mother of the year award.

It started so innocently.
Cooper had a play date today. They played outside for a while, played inside a bit and were settling into a bit of friendly Wii competition. I asked a simple question- 'hey, how would you like to mix up some concoctions?'
And just like that, I had the full attention of two giddy boys.

We started with 3D sidewalk chalk. Very cool-
Mix 1/2 C cornstarch, 2 T flour, 1/4 C water and 6 drops of food coloring. Mix well and pour into a plastic bag. Snip off the corner and you're ready for some crazy chalk drawings.

DSC_0364

DSC_0365

They asked whether we could make some sort of clay. So, I checked my book and my pantry and decided that Cinnamon & Applesauce Dough would fit the bill.

Very simple- Mix 1/2 C applesauce and 1/2 C cinnamon in a plastic bag.
Check, check and check.

They loved it!
The fact that it resembled "poo" helped greatly, I'm sure.

DSC_0369

DSC_0370

And then things turned south.
H. said, "Oww, this hurts"
Huh??
And then he said, "it's burning me"

His hands were completely covered with our newly mixed up dough and so are his forearms.

Cooper was less zealous with his-
DSC_0371

And H. is starting to get a bit worried, and so am I.
We go to the sink and I start rinsing him off and his arms are bright red.

I officially become panicked but am really trying to remain calm- my mind is racing and I submerge him in cold water and run to g**gle. Turns out that cinnam@n causes the blood to rise to the top of your skin and can actually burn you. I think that may have been an important tip that got left out of the pages of my book FOR KIDS.

Grrrrr.

I can't get in touch with H's mom or my across the street neighbor who I thought used to be a nurse (turns out she was a physical therapist...Ellen, if you're reading this- THANK YOU for calling me back!!) So, I decide to call Poison Control- surely they'll be able to tell me whether I need to shove him into the car and get to the emergency room or not. I've also decided to rub olive oil into H's arms. I felt like it would sooth him a little bit.

By this time H's arms have raised bumps (ok, actual welts) and I've got Ben on the line from Poison Control. And I have to explain that we were making dough with cinnamon....that poor man. I get through the story and he's silent (he was probably g**gling it too!). He asks me some questions about H's breathing and determines that it's topical, which is good. He said that the olive oil wouldn't hurt and once I got in touch with H's mom that perhaps B@nedryl would be helpful.

Ok, crisis averted.

H's mom calls- and she's SO KIND. She thought he ATE clay so evidently getting burned by it was the lesser of the two evils. She assured me that he had sensitive skin and that "these things happen all the time, don't worry a minute over it". She talked to him, discussed the option of taking some medicine and told us to call if it didn't get better.

We ended the day with some board games and when Poison Control called back to check on us 2 hours later, all was right with the world and there were no signs of the earlier events (ie, welts and redness gone).

So, for you mom's who are still in the running for mother of the year- I leave you with a few thoughts.
1) 3D sidewalk chalk is an awesome concoction for kids- simple & fun
2) I do not recommend making Cinnamon & Applesauce dough with children- ever.
3) Tape the number to Poison Control near your telephone so you'll have it in an emergency.

Lastly, a Thankful Thursday list-
I am thankful- that H's reaction wasn't more serious and that he and Cooper had such a wonderful day together
I am thankful- for a whole week of vacation which allowed me to participate fully in some stay at home mom activities
I am thankful for my sweet Domino friends
I am thankful for being able to call on some experts in a time of crisis and have help be just an 800# away.

No comments: