Saturday, August 23, 2008

Catching Up

Busy, busy week! A friend at work once told me that saying that you are busy gives the impression that you are not organized, and so instead you should say that your days are "full". I'm the first to admit- I lack organization (but crave it desperately). We were BUSY!

Wednesday night was our 9th Anniversary. 9 whole years- hard to imagine, but certainly a great feeling. We celebrated with dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House and had a delicious meal. I was thrilled to see that my current favorite wine (Alamos-Argentinean Malbec) was on the wine list. I was not as excited to pay 4X the retail price, but it's our anniversary so who's really counting dollars? Our evening was wonderful with tears shed by both of us as we replayed our history- both good and not so good.

Thursday was Cooper's 1st grade orientation- and my hope was that he'd be tear free. Not so. He lost it when they announced that the parents needed to leave the children. Thankfully, the Admissions Director (I could not love this woman any more- she's amazing) came right over and peeled him from me and somehow got him consoled and calmed down. When the kids came into the classroom to join the adults, he was the same smiling child that had walked in the front door when we arrived. Whew- crisis averted.

Prior to orientation, Cooper had decided that he didn't want to go to 1st grade- and because he had only mouthed the songs at kindergarten graduation that he really wasn't worthy. After stifling laughter, I let him know that indeed he is going to 1st grade and that not singing isn't reason to be held back. He passed with flying colors and his new teacher could hardly wait to meet him. He wasn't convinced.

What did convince him was the fact that his teacher is a Skittles lover. At the end of each day, if the class follows the rules, they receive a Skittle. What she could not have possibly known is that Cooper will do just about anything for a Skittle. Seems like the year could have potential!

Please say a little prayer that his first day goes smoothly, and that he is brave and filled with confidence that he needs to get him through without any tears.

After we finished at school, we hit 95 N to visit my parents. After a trip that took 3 hours longer than it should have, we arrived safely. Our visit was perfect- full of love and laughter and TLC for both of us. My mom is doing so much better and was able to go back to school shopping on Friday! (Thanks Mom for the Lands End treats)

My dad has an amazing crop of heirloom tomatoes and I could not get enough! Mr. Stripey, Mortgage Breakers and something else that I cannot remember all tasted like the nectar of the gods. I LOVE a homegrown tomato.

My dad and Cooper really had a ball together. He taught Cooper to play badminton and they had a blast!

They also played in the rocks in the back yard, picked veggies, and played cars. It was really special to see them deepen their bond and on the ride home Cooper said, "I had so much fun playing with Pappy". My mom and I had so much fun watching them together.

Our trip was really quick- but long enough to spend some quality time and make sure that my mom is doing well. Mission accomplished.

We were off today to a birthday party that Cooper was hesitant about, but in true Cooper form had a great time once he got there. We ended the evening with a family bike ride at the James River- Jon gave me a bike as a surprise and I'm super excited about it. We had a great time! Thankfully it seems that what they say is true- it's like riding a bike, you don't forget how to do it.

Gearing up for the start of the school year will take up most of tomorrow. It's always exciting to have a fresh start and I'm determined to spend less time being busy, and more time with full days! We'll see how far I get......

No comments: