Sunday, June 7, 2009

Scurvy??

I'm not sure how I happened on this stroke of genius, but it couldn't have been more brilliant if I had planned it myself.

Cooper had a friend come to play on Friday and I had a quick errand to run so I threw the boys in the car and off we went. Cooper grabbed a book about pirates.....Peter grabbed Star Wars figures.

As we're driving, Cooper is reading and Peter is having a battle and this is the conversation.

Cooper: Momma? It says here that the pirates got this terrible disease called scurvy. Do you know what that is?

Me: Hmm, scurvy- yes, it's when you don't have enough vitamin C.
Cooper: Where does vitamin C come from? Milk?

Peter: Nope, it comes from fruit and stuff. I have a ton of it every day. I'll never get scurvy.
Cooper: Momma, is Peter right?
Me: Yup, he sure is (at this point, my spidey sense kicks in and I realize that we may have a winner)
Cooper: Well scurvy is really bad. It'll kill you.
Me: You're right. Scurvy is terrible- we certainly don't want you to get scurvy.
Silence.

Ding, ding, ding. We do have a winner!! More fruits have been consumed by my child since learning about scurvy than perhaps in the entire month (yes, I get that I'm admitting that I'm not the mother of the year....and I'm ok with it.....it's for the greater good!).

Strawberries, oranges and apples have certainly moved up on his list of 'favorite' foods.
I'm riding the scurvy wave as long as it can- GENIUS!!

No comments: