Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Early Morning Exchange (and Math)

Before we moved, Jon and I traded e-mails frequently before 8am.
And they were hilarious and an integral part of our relationship.
Since we've moved, they don't happen anymore. And I miss them TERRIBLY!

The trade off is that we spend the early mornings together and leave at the same time. It's nice....but I don't have as many funny stories about my sweet hubs.

Thankfully humor sometimes pops up later in the day and I get my fix.

This time we were discussing my commute time and gas prices.
And he casually said that if I got a different car that I could save $300-$400/month.

Huh?? Ok, my interest is peaked and my response to him was a simple "DO TELL".

And this is what I got back-

From: Jon
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:47 PM
To: Carolyn
Subject: RE: updates...


Here is how I derived the gas figure. 150 miles/day= 750 miles a week =3000 miles/month

3000/15mpg = 200 gallons of gas/month
200gallons X 3.50/gallon = $700/month

If gas goes to $4/gallon it = $800/month

Therefore a smaller car getting double the gas mileage sales you between $300 and $400/month. I realize they are round figures but they are not far off.

After Coop goes to school here, you would obviously be driving less mileage. Lets say you drive 3 days a week.
125 miles/day 3 days a week = 375 X 4 =1500/month/15mpg = 100 gallons @ $3.50= 350.00 or at $4 $400

In that scenario it would save you around $200
Think about it.

*********
My eyes had glazed over before I got to the 2nd equation. I can't think about it- I can't even read it!
I'm all about saving $400 if it's simple....I don't think this qualifies.

My sweet hubs...we couldn't be more different when it comes to financial "stuff", or gas milage calculations as the case may be.

Sigh.

No comments: